Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Modest Proposal

Relax, neighbors. It's not about eating babies, it's about the possibility (if any) of acquiring "No Thoroughfare" status for Franklin Road. I realize you people up on Garvin in your ivory towers probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but apparently it's a good shortcut to beat the light on Perrysville Ave. Problem is, you need to do at least 50 mph and preferably blow through the stop sign to make it work. After all, the whole "road" is only three blocks long.

Eric, I'm looking in your general direction. Next time you have the Mayor over, could you pull some strings and make it happen?

Thank you and good night.

3 comments:

chuck said...

Of course, "have the Mayor over" is a euphemism for going down to City Hall and doing the work for me. Why hasn't this been fixed yet? I might just have to start parking on Radium and pretending like the back of my house is the front of my house. So this is OHNO, huh?

Balloonpopper Chillingsworth said...

As per your request, Franklin will be completely closed to all traffic including pedestrian as of May 5th, 2009. Residents will be asked to find other methods of arriving to their homes which will not require trespassing on Franklin. I understand the inconvenience this poses therefore, I have submitted a proposal to the City to operate this road as a toll road. All revenues will go to my retirement fund.

Dot Bowls said...

What communities/neighbors have successfully implemented traffic calming initiatives lately? I know stop signs can be tough to get, but we already have those; ours just don't work very well. What about asking for enforcement of the stop sign? It may only get a few people to slow down occasionally, but that is better than nothing. What about eliminating the need for the pass-through by advocating for a better-timed light at the Kwicki Mart intersection?

When I lived in Mt. Washington, and some neighbors were seeking a stop sign to slow down traffic, the first thing they had to do was get residents to sign a petition. I think they had to have more than 50% buy-in; could be renters, not necessarily the property owners. Getting the Franklin neighbors to lay down their John Hancocks is a likely second step . . . after you figure out the traffic calming solution you think would work best and write it down as a petition/proposal. As an added benefit, petitioning is a way to meet some other Franklin neighbors and get organized around an issue everyone probably agrees upon . . .